Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My Dog's Name is Rex!

I talked to Annie yesterday morning and she told me about a man who they had over for dinner on Sunday. It seems he is a member of our church who is in Mobile to build the organ for the renovated sanctuary at Dauphin Way Methodist Church, which is where my friend Jo attends. So I thought that was a pretty neat coincidence. Then she told me the rest of the story. This man does work for our church, working on new buildings, etc, all over the country with his father. Ricky (who is still visiting in Mobile along with Lynne, kids, etc) mentioned that our next-door neighbor here in Harvest Hills also works on church building all over the country with his dad. So the man asks what our neighbor's name is, and Ricky says Nielson, and the man says his name is Nielson...... Anyway, it turns out that the man and Isaac Nielson, our neighbor, are cousins! And he said that when Isaac and his wife Erica had their third child earlier this year, that it was the 116th great-grandchild for their family! Which I found even cooler than the "my dog's name is Rex" coincidence. It's hard to try to wrap your mind around 116 great-grands. Are you reading this, Mutti? Try buying Christmas presents for that crew! So I started thinking about my friend Brenda, and if that could be a possibility for her. She and Tom have 12 kids. So if each of their kids has 12 kids, that would be, what, 144 grandchildren? And if each grandchild has, say, only four kids..... You do the math....

By the way, if anyone is a little confused by the title of this post, "My dog's name is Rex" is one of our favorite lines from what is probably our official favorite family movie, "Rustler's Rhapsody." So if you hear one of my kids ever say "Throw another faggot on the fire," or "I've got a match for you" or "My dog's name is Rex!," you will know where those lines come from!

3 comments:

Rich said...

Truly it is a small world after all! I tried to watch that Rustler's Rhapsody years ago, and I just couldn't get into it. Perhaps I will have to try it again.

I don't know if you know this, but country music has invaded your blog. You may wanna check into that. Hurts my ears...

Thanks for blogging!

Jim and Merry said...

I'm sorry, dear one, but the truth is, we both love that classic country sound! It wouldn't be a shared blog if I put my favorites on the music player that Jim doesn't go for, such as anything at all by John Denver. I'll save that for a blog that's just mine some day. In the mean time, I guess you'll just need to turn down the sound. Thank you so so much for reading and responding to our blog. We love ya!

Lynne said...

Opa, you need to hide her computer.