Monday, April 7, 2008

Our Cups Runneth Over

This past weekend was General Conference, and as many of you, Jim and I feel so blessed to have been able to partake of the spirit of those meetings. Sunday morning session was especially wonderful, particularly hearing our beloved prophet give his address, and witness the mantle of the prophet on this great man. We love, honor, and sustain President Thomas S. Monson, as well as the other members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. It was interesting to see Elder Christofferson be sustained as the newest member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, remembering that he was the general authority assigned to Mobile Alabama Stake to reorganize the Stake Presidency in 1998 when Jim was released as president of that stake. Lynne and I served lunch to Elder Christofferson and enjoyed sharing that meal with him. I don't remember what we served, but I do know that the meal ended with Lynne's famous Key Lime Pie, which was delicious as always! I reminded Jim of that occasion, and remembered that many years ago we had the opportunity to have Elder Richard G. Scott in our home for a meal. He was a Regional Representative at the time, just passing through, and we enjoyed his sweet spirit that evening. I remember that he spent time with little Davy, drawing some pictures for him.

I digress, as usual! My intention in this post was to mention something President Monson said in his address Sunday morning that really hit home with me. The texts of the conference addresses are not online as of yet, so I will try to paraphrase as best I can. He mentioned that "our Father in Heaven loves us, each one. Mortality is a period of testing. In order to be tested, we must sometimes face challanges and difficulties. At times there appears to be no light at the tunnels end. No dawn to break the night's darkness. We feel surrounded by disappointment... Is there no balm in Gilead? We are inclined to view our own personal misfortunes through the distorted prism of pessimism. We feel abandoned, heartbroken, alone. Turn to Heavenly Father in faith. He will lift you and guide you. He will not always take our afflictions from us, but he will comfort and lead us with love through whatever storm we face." I thought of our challanges and difficulties we have faced over the last few months. Our home in Mobile has been on the market for over a year now. While renovating our home, we placed our trust in a contractor who did not live up to that trust. We have had some setbacks as we try to finish our basement apartment. We have had some health issues. Listening to President Monson, the Spirit bore witness to me of the personal application of President Monson's prophetic message. I know that as we face challanges, Heavenly Father will lift us and guide us.

Jim and I have so many blessings, so much for which to be thankful. The natural man in me sometimes tends to forget all we have been given and to dwell on our problems. I hope that by reflecting on the prophetic messages of conference, I will continue to be lifted up and to always remember that stumbling blocks are only small things. Our blessings so greatly outweigh them. Truly our cups runneth over.

No comments: